Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ah Oui

Third morning in London, just past 8am. Back in the same Italian café, same drink, same seat. This afternoon is when my UC Study Center Orientation starts.

Yesterday was fantastic. I met up with some people from the online vegan forum that I frequent, and we went to Camden Market. We ate at a place called InSpiral Lounge, and remained there for about 2 hours while a couple more people from the forum joined us. It was a nice, relaxed pace to the day. We then walked around the market, which is really much like the markets in parts of Asia (maybe Shanghai in particular, and what I understand of Hong Kong). I’d say San Francisco x (Shanghai ÷ Hong Kong) + English Accents ≈ London.

It was fun looking at all the trinkets and such, and recognizing areas that I had seen in movies. Then in the evening we went to a pub right around where I’m staying, and a few more forumers joined us. Lots of good laughs, good drinks, all of which is incredibly helpful for me at this point. By the way, everyone agreed that what happened the night before with the cops was completely bizarre, and not a problem of cultural difference, as they, too, would not have believed that these were police. It made me feel better to know that the “cops” were entirely in the wrong. The best conclusion we could reach was that, IF they were even cops at all (one of the friends at the pub thought they may not have been), I must have matched some description that they were given, so they approached me with an, “Ah HA! Gotcha!” state of mind rather than a, “Would you mind showing us some identification?” state of mind. But I still think that they realized their mistake halfway through and didn’t want to admit to it. Anyway.

So now then, pictures:

Right before I left the US:

Photobucket

Photobucket

My hostel room:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Views from the bus to Camden:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Camden Market

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Part of Camden Market that was on fire a few months ago

Photobucket

New friends at the pub!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's all for now. The photos will be larger in the future.

No comments: